Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Become Beloved

In Henri Nouwen's book - Life of the Beloved, he implores us to recognize that we are the Beloved. When we realize that we are the Beloved, he encourages us to take the great spiritual journey of becoming the Beloved. We become the Beloved in our daily existence, in everything that we do.

The first step in becoming a Beloved is to acknowledge that we are Chosen. Nouwen recommends three guidelines in this spiritual journey. First, we have to keep unmasking the world for what it really is. The world is manipulative, controlling, power-hungry, and destructive. All of us face the world and call it different names. We have to unmask the world, realize the lies it is telling us about ourselves, refute the lies and repeat truths to yourself. If the world is telling you, buy that new TV. You need it. You can always charge it on your card and pay for it monthly. The truth of the matter is you don't need a new TV. Paying for it monthly means you cannot afford it. You am the Chosen one, and that is not the way God wants you to live. Unmask the world - unmask the psychology it teaches, and seek the truth.

Second guideline is to look for people and places where God's truth is spoken and where your identity as the Chosen one is affirmed.

Third, celebrate your Chosenness. A simple thank you to those who affirm you as the Chosen one and to God who has chosen you. Gratitude begets gratitude.

Get in touch with your Chosenness with these three guidelines.

As I go on my special seat in my room to reflect on my Chosenness, I learn another guideline. Do not talk about myself but speak in a way to reflect that I am the Chosen one. All my words and action should reflect to others of my Chosenness.